The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELOR
at The Geo Group
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: J3N42F69NGFC9V63TD1
Categories: Healthcare - Behavioral/Mental Health, Healthcare - Therapy/Rehab Services, Healthcare - ALL CATEGORIES
Facility: RS EAST ST LOUIS IL
Compensation Base: $16.34 Per Hour
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- This position assists in developing, organizing, and conducting programs to provide education for conditions and problems relating to drug and alcohol abuse. Conducts or assists in conducting individual or group counseling sessions and programs. Learns, uses and models principles of the “What Works” system through evidence-based practices in all interactions with clients and other staff members.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates substance abuse program at an office or group of offices using principles of the “What Works” system. Schedules intakes, and group and individual sessions. Discusses specific cases with case managers to determine if they are appropriate for substance abuse treatment. May assist with the assignment of cases.
- Facilitates psycho-educational/behavior modification groups using principles of the “What Works” system. Documents participants’ attendance, participation and progress in Company database.
- Conducts risk/need assessments and creates individual treatment plans for each assigned participants’. Meets regularly with participants’ and documents participants’ progress or regress in Company database.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with outside referral sources, such as in-patient substance abuse facilities or detox facilities. Actively pursues and develops referrals from probation and evaluating agencies.
- Identifies problem areas that may impact participants’ ability to successfully complete treatment. Guides participants’ to develop strategies to overcome obstacles to success completion of treatment.
- May advise Customer of participants’ progress regularly or at completion of treatment.
- Collects participants’ fees for program participation. Tracks fee collection for office or group of offices.
- Ensures that participants’ records are accurately completed in a timely manner.
- May maintain a specific substance abuse treatment case file for every program participant.
- Selects and recommends new instructional materials and programs for use in the substance abuse program.
- Maintains knowledge of new developments in the field of substance abuse.
- Maintains a collegian relationship with other substance abuse professionals, programs, and associations.
- Participates in related training for substance abuse.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in human services or a related field, required.
- CADC credentials obtained from the Illinois Alcohol and other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association, required.
- Have a minimum of one (1) year experience providing cognitive behavioral therapy services to an offender population.
- Familiarity with DSM-V and ASAM criteria.
- Ability to build a strong rapport with participants and influence positive behavioral changes.
- No felony convictions or currently on parole or probation or under any structured supervision as a result of criminal conduct.
- Must be twenty-one (21) years of age or currently on parole or probation or under any structured supervision as a result of criminal conduct.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Effective communication skills with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Problem solving ability.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Bi-lingual skills (English/Spanish) may be required as well as experience dealing with specific cultural group.
- Problem solving ability.
- Good presentation, public speaking and facilitation skills.
- Good organizational skills and time management skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Knowledge of client record management.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!